On our way to Custer.
Mt. Rushmore was next on our itinerary so we took the scenic drive through Custer State Park to get there. The highlight of our drive was when we stopped to look at some donkeys. They came right up to the car and stuck their heads in. One even tried to eat Weston's hair! He was laughing so hard that I wish I would have caught it on camera!Day 4- In the morning we met up with some friends of ours to ride the 1880 Train. We bought roundtrip tickets from Hill City to Keystone. I think the kids might have enjoyed hanging out with their friends more then the actually train ride, but it was a neat experience!
On our way to the train we drove by the Crazy Horse Monument!
After the train we spent some time in Rapid City at the Dinosaur Park and Storybook Island park before heading to our Hotel in Deadwood. I was a little disappointed with Deadwood since I was expecting there to be more things for us to do. They did do a gunshow on the mainstreet but of course the day we were there it wasn't going on. We ended up spending the night letting the kids swim in the hotel and resting up for the long drive we had the next day.
Day 5- This day was dedicated to driving to Yellowstone. We picked a scenic route to take and also went out of our way to see Devil's Tower. The drive ended up taking a lot longer then we had expected and we were all pretty exhausted when we finally made it to our cabin.
On our way out of deadwood we stopped to see Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane's gravesite.
Stopping at one of the visitor centers to stretch our legs.
Next up is our day in Yellowstone!




No comments:
Post a Comment